Manor House & Gardens
The Manor House was built in 1789 by Paul Roux. It was declared a National Monument in 1975.
Paul bought a further piece of land on the 13th March 1818. Paul Roux IV divided the farms on the 30th
of July 1824: Vlottenburg went to his eldest son Paul V (also called ”The Wynkoper”), and Vredenburgh
went to his third son Jacobus Petrus (“Koos Witkop”). JP Roux was the 4th wealthiest wine farmer in
Johan Wilhelm Herold Roux (an Afrikaans Jew) inherited the farm on the 31st of December 1897. He was
married to Nettie Neetling and they had no children. Tielman Neetling, Nettie’s nephew, worked on the
farm from 1917. Tielman Neetling bought the farm on the 21st of December 1942 for 22,000 pounds. He
was known for making quality Pport and Sherries, which were distributed under the Gilbeys label. When
his son Johan wanted to register the farm as an estate in 1962, he found out the name belonged to the
Gilbeys group. He then decided on the name Vredenheim.